Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an omega-3 fatty acid. Often considered along with another omega-3 fatty acid – eicosapentaeoic acid (EPA), DHA is found throughout the body and is most abundant in the brain, eyes and heart. It is a major structural fat in both the brain and retina of the eye. Infants require an adequate supply of DHA for development of the brain, retina and nervous system. Currently, DHA is probably best known as a supplement for pregnant or breastfeeding women or a supplement used in infant formula.
Children and adults also require DHA in their diet for healthy brain, eye and nervous system function. In addition, DHA supports the cardiovascular system. Although most studies focus on DHA and EPA together in terms of heart health, there is research that suggests that DHA alone is beneficial in terms of achieving and maintaining optimal levels of triglycerides and HDL cholesterol. In a new lab study, researchers at the University of Houston discovered that DHA inhibits the inflammatory prostaglandin E2 pathway in the body at the cellular level. Inhibiting this pathway has a positive effect on cardiovascular health and other aspects of health.
• Supports healthy development of brain, eyes and nervous system in fetus and infants*
• Supports healthy function of the brain and nervous system*
• Supports cardiovascular health*
• Vegetarian source of DHA
• Dietary supplements
• Foods and beverages
What makes DHA-3 Sure products different than other DHA products?
• DHA-3 Sure products are free of heavy metals, GMOs and solvents (such as hexane). Initially, microalgae (Crypthecodinium cohni) are grown through fermentation in large vats in a controlled environment that is free of heavy metals, pesticides and other contaminants. Then, the DHA oil is extracted from the microalgae by a solvent-free extraction process.
• DHA-3 Sure products are non-allergenic, whereas DHA from fish oil and krill can be allergenic for some people.
• DHA-3 Sure products are derived from microalgae, which are a more sustainable DHA source than are fish or krill.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose,treat, cure or prevent any disease.